Saturday, May 16, 2020

CORONA---"Humanity Over Profits"


          Nextdoor is a social media community application found around the country.  The one for my area is called Nextdoor East Falls, and the usual topics concern restaurant openings, community events, the farmers market, street closings, and so on.  Frequently, however, politics creeps onto the forum and when it does, it is invariably the politics of the liberal left.

          The following exchange is typical of the thinking in my neighborhood.  It has been slightly edited and all the names have been changed.  The originator of this thread, whom I call Laura Davis, is a woman who appears to be in her mid-twenties, with no obvious health issues or disabilities, so her chance of contracting the coronavirus and dying (because of her job at the Starbucks drive-through), is virtually zero.  Also, though there are 36 million people unemployed and though tens of thousands of businesses have been closed, and though the coming months may bring untold millions to despair and homelessness and substance abuse and suicide, and though famines are likely around the world because of the economic lockdowns, Ms. Davis has a job.
           

A reminder from your local Starbucks Barista:

Laura Davis, South Roxborough. 5-5-20
Starbucks is NOT essential. I’m at work because I don’t really have a choice, but you have a choice to stay inside and avoid unnecessary trips. Quarantine isn’t over just because you’re bored! It’s one thing to order local delivery to support small business, but another entirely to continue to frequent places like Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, who will survive this and are currently exploiting their workers.

V. M.
O.K.  No restaurant is essential in your mind. Do all your fellow workers agree?

Laura Davis
That’s not quite what I said. I support small, locally owned restaurants and their right to safely stay open at their choosing. But I feel that the “it’s food so it’s essential” gap has paved the way for people like me to be stuck in a job that’s potentially dangerous for no good reason (whereas first responders: dangerous job but saving lives) and definitely more hectic than it needs to be with everything currently going on because fast food chains want to stay open. Where local businesses could shut down over this, chains will survive. And what I’m seeing, working in one of the only drive thru locations in Philly, is our line being clogged with nonessential workers, our staff trying our best to handle these long lines but not really having much control over the whole situation, and dealing with customers who are incredibly angry over the line length especially with mobile ordering and Uber Eats still being options, but also required to wait in lines, and most people I interact with on a daily basis aren’t taking any safety precautions, etc. Dangerous for no reason, especially with numbers still as high as they are, for a nonessential business, just to be yelled at anyway. During a pandemic. I would advocate for better protections for workers stuck in a similar position, so that they don’t feel financially dependent on a precarious situation. But by all means, please order local.

Laura Davis
I think it really depends on the location you’re at, a lot of my struggle is seeing our lines clogged because people are out with nothing else to do, and because we’re one of the only drive thrus in Philly, and that’s what gets me. I wouldn’t mind staying open to serve other essential workers, but it’s pretty clear who’s out just for fun and who’s out for a caffeine dose before work.

Annoyed Presumed Fascist
What do you mean by "I’m at work because I don’t really have a choice"? Are you inferring you have to go to work because you need the money? How do you expect Starbucks to continue paying you if everyone stops showing up to purchase coffee? Next thing you know you'll be out of a job and asking neighbors to join you in a rent freeze.

Laura Davis
That’s exactly what I’m saying. I can’t look for another job, because no one is hiring. I would most likely be denied for unemployment if I quit, because I don’t have any pre-existing conditions and haven’t technically been laid off. I assume you’re trying to be hurtful by saying that I’d be striking for a rent freeze, but I absolutely would. I’m a firm believer in humanity over profits and the way our economy and large businesses as a whole are handling this pandemic and profiting/exploiting off of fear and disaster is very upsetting to me and many other demographics that you may not be well acquainted with. For instance, did you know that this pandemic is most greatly affecting minorities and those working below a certain pay grade (a little above minimum wage)? That’s where my concern lies.

K. C.
If anyone in the neighborhood is organizing for tenants' rights, please contact me--I would like to volunteer.

S. G.
And she’s right. Starbucks could certainly pay its staff to stay home via a PPP or just dig into its corporate pockets and cover its staff while this pandemic rolls on. Some people don’t have much of a choice when it comes to paying the rent or buying groceries so have to put themselves at risk. Heading to Starbucks because you have to have your whatever frappacino puts others at risk of contracting Covid 19.

Annoyed Presumed Fascist
That's awesome, I'd love to work for a company that is paying people to stay home and not work currently. Any leads on that?

B. S.
The Census Bureau did. A giant corporation like Starbucks could absolutely afford to,

A. M.
It’s like going to Target to buy necessities (food, medications, household items) vs going to Target just to buy shoes, earrings and purses. I’m thankful for the store that are open, but it’s good to stick to just the most essential trips.

S. F.
You're 10000% correct. I feel awful for all non-essential (and some essential, like grocery stores) workers being taken advantage of right now. What can we do? Can we write to someone?

K.T.
http://chng.it/G5VgXtQgVR it would be awesome if you could sign this petition for Starbucks employees to keep our $3 raise! Outside of the city we are way underpaid and the extra money through this time has really helped partners (employees). No pressure at all tho if you don’t want to! Also hopefully it doesn’t show up in Spanish, I’m not sure why the website thinks I speak Spanish and it shows up that way for me.

Copyright2020MichaelKubacki

No comments:

Post a Comment