Monday, January 18, 2021

INAUGURATION BOGEYMEN

 

          The Biden Inauguration is in three days.  Are we really supposed to believe we need miles of barricades and razor wire, and six thousand National Guard troops, to protect federal buildings in D.C.?  Do we really need to shut down dozens of state capitols and surround them with troops?  Are you sure there are vast armies of yahoos and white supremacists massing to take down the U.S. government?

 

          Over the years, I have found that the best way of addressing these bogeymen, when they are presented by the left-wing media, is to bring them down to ground level and look for them in the real world. The armies of evil incarnate are always “out there” somewhere, and you never get told exactly where.  You also never get any sort of estimate of how many of these devils actually exist.  Often we are presented with an exemplar or two (in the Capitol attack, we are offered the buffalo-hat guy and Baked Alaska and a couple others), and then encouraged to believe there are tens of thousands of others who are just as crazy and violent.

 

          In this case, every article about the bloodthirsty hordes links them to QAnon, implying that everyone who stormed the Capitol, and anyone who marched to the Capitol, and indeed anyone who went to Washington to protest the election in any way, believes there is a cabal of Democratic, Satan-worshipping pedophiles who rule the world.  They must be white supremacists too because, we are also told, all 75 million people who voted for Trump are white supremacists, but that charge seems to be secondary.  It’s just assumed.

 

          When confronted with the terrifying specter of a mob of QAnon white-supremacist insurrectionists who are determined to kill politicians and bring down America, what I ask myself is: do I know anybody like this?

 

          I mean, I know a lot of people.  I live in a city and I have a job where I interact with hundreds of people and I’m on the Internet a lot, so I communicate with all sorts.  I know communists.  I know liberals.  I know white supremacists.  I know anti-vaxxers and Zionists and Jew-haters and people who wonder why we all can’t just get along and people who will not wear a mask under any circumstance and people who wear a mask when they are alone in their own home and people who ONLY care about recycling and bike paths and people convinced that the election was totally kosher and people who are incensed that the election was stolen.

 

          What I don’t know is anybody who wants to fight a shooting war across America in order to bring down our constitutional republic and install Donald Trump as Il Duce.  I’m not saying they don’t exist.  In a nation of 330,000,000 people, there are undoubtedly a few people like that, and maybe the guy in the buffalo hat is one of them.  And maybe he thinks Nancy Pelosi drinks human blood under the full moon while she is sodomizing altar boys with her broomstick.

 

          If he does, it’s a distinctly minority opinion.  And there are not enough people who share his views to justify miles of concrete barriers and razor wire and thousands of troops.  In fact, there were already supposed to be violent insurrections in state capitols this past weekend, and what happened?  More journalists showed up than protesters, and the four or five protesters were carrying cardboard signs rather than AR-15s.

 

          All of which took me back to the 2008 election, when I was repeatedly told by my Democratic friends that Obama couldn’t be elected because there were too many white people who wouldn’t vote for a black man.  I was told this so many times that I started asking myself: WHO?  Who, under normal circumstances, would vote for a guy like Obama but wouldn’t do it because he is black?  Did I know any such people?  And I didn’t.  I couldn’t think of a one.

 

          Of course, there were plenty of Americans who wouldn’t vote for Obama.  There was me, for example, though it had nothing to do with his skin color.  I didn’t vote for Dukakis or Clinton or Gore or Kerry either and they were all nice white boys just like myself.  No.  I vote for political reasons, as most people do.  In order for this racism theory to manifest itself in the 2008 election, to make a difference in the election, there would have to be a bunch of people who were solid Democrats and who had voted for Dukakis and Clinton and Gore and Kerry but would shun Barack Obama because he was the wrong color.  Such people had to exist, I guess, but it had to be a distinctly minority view because not only was I unacquainted with such a person, my leftist friends couldn’t name one either.  And in fact, I knew people who voted for Obama because he was black.  They had never voted before and didn’t pay any attention to politics whatsoever, but they were prepared to run through a wall in order to vote for the first black president.

 

          It’s now my standard response to the news that there is suddenly a huge cohort of some kind of people I never heard of before and can’t quite picture.  Name some.  Name a few.  Name five, and I’ll give you Baked Alaska and the buffalo-hat guy.

 

Copyright2021MichaelKubacki

No comments:

Post a Comment