Friday, February 1, 2013

2013 SUPERBOWL


As you are probably aware (because I've told you twenty times), I know nothing about pro football. Its infield fly rule has always confused me and at times I forget how the knight moves. What I do know is that yards per pass is strongly correlated with football success, especially in the playoffs and the Superbowl. It is for this reason that I now predict the 49ers will win the Superbowl by a comfortable margin.

The numbers are not close, and the numbers are all I got. Offensively, San Francisco is a full yard better than Baltimore (6.6 to 5.6). Defensively, they are a full yard better as well (4.4 to 5.4). In addition, the 49ers outscored their opponents by 4 ½ points more than Baltimore outscored its opponents. These are huge differences. In my world, where numbers matter, San Francisco rolls to victory in one of those 42 – 13 Superbowls that were so common twenty years ago.

Of course, in my world, where numbers matter, Mitt Romney was elected president on November 6. More to the point, I cannot measure the effect of a magical end-of-season Ray Lewis playoff mojo, and there can be no doubt that a magical end-of-season Ray Lewis playoff mojo (hereafter, “MEOSRLPM”) is at work in the current cycle. If numbers were everything, Baltimore would not have beaten Denver. Baltimore would not have beaten New England either. Yet here they are in New Orleans getting ready to play the 49ers for all the cheese.

I'm still taking the 49ers minus the points, but I am reevaluating my stance on Ray Lewis. The Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways, and maybe these last two Ravens victories, both as a touchdown-plus underdog, contain a message. Maybe it's time for me to forgive and forget. Maybe it's time to stop asking Ray what happened to that white suit he was wearing the night those guys got stabbed. Maybe it's time to buy Michael Vick a puppy. And maybe, finally, O.J. should get his Heisman Trophy back.

Nah.

Copyright2013MichaelKubacki

No comments:

Post a Comment